When Mayberry Mom and Motherhood Uncensored put out a call for a virtual Baby Shower for MotherGooseMouse and her impending baby boy, they asked for posts on raising boys, and boy-oriented song lists for the playlist to end all playlists.
Well, I can't offer any advice or commentary on raising boy children, since I've only got a girl, but Julie? Teach him to cook. 'Cause everyone needs to eat, and women love a man who can cook.
But I loved coming up with some songs for the the song list. I plugged "boy" into the iTunes search window and came up with many songs by The Five Blind Boys and the Beach Boys, Jane Siberry's album "When I Was a Boy" and 22 versions of "The Little Drummer Boy". I whittled it down to a manageable handful:
- Pony Boy (Bruce Springsteen)
- Boy From Tupelo (Emmylou Harris)
- The boy who never cried (Steve Earle)
- Pretty Boy Floyd (Bob Dylan)
- Po' Boy (Bob Dylan)
- The Jones Boy (The Mills Brothers)
- Winin' Boy Blues (Leon Redbone)
- Indian Boy (Paul Pena)
- The Boy In The Bubble (Paul Simon)
- Where the Boys Go (The Rolling Stones)
- Danny Boy (Rufus Wainwright)
- The Only Living Boy In New York (Simon & Garfunkel)
And then I threw in my favorite song about the number three: Three is a Magic Number (Bob Dorough).
Julie, lots of luck and love to you and your baby boy. And, I think you might need a new handle. Mother Goose Mouse only accounts for two of your three children. Maybe MotherGooseMouseMonkey?