The last time I took the six year old in to the office, it was right before the end of school and there was, consequently, nearly nothing going on at work. So I promised her that sometime during the summer session, she could skip camp and come to work with me. Today was the day, and we had a rich full day:
- The commuter train to NYC
- A tour of Grand Central courtesy of my sister-in-law
- The subway to my office
- Ballet classes to watch
- Office supplies to play with
- A quick trip to Old Navy for cheap flip flops because wearing sneakers without socks gave her blisters
- Macaroni and cheese (for her) and gazpacho (for me) at City Bakery for lunch
- A hula class to watch
- A detour through Barnes and Noble to cash in her reading log for a free book (and some other books)
- The subway back uptown
- New socks from Little Miss Matched
- Sorbet from Ciao Bella
- And the commuter train home.
And all the while, she wore a black and white dress that I'd found in my closet, realized I was never going to wear again and took it in (and up) to fit her.
[If you're following along, I've done very little on my list.]